Sunday, July 21, 2013

If at first you don't succeed, give up and try again tomorrow.

I have already admitted that I am a wimpy runner, but I sank to an all new level of wimpy Saturday. I'm talking stopping my run an hour early as I whimpered all the way to the car. I was planning to run about two hours today at a nearby state park. Matt even agreed to get up at 5 on a Saturday to go with me to help with hydration and motivation.

The problems started when we got there at sunrise, which the PA state park website lists as the opening time, and we found out that the gates to parking areas don't actually open until 7. On top of having to wait around for the park to open, I was already starting to get hungry. I could feel disaster setting in, but I kept trying to put it behind me.

Matt and I have been to this park before to ride on the paved multi-use trail, and I have been on the hiking trails with my friend Caitlyn, but this was the first time I have ever attempted to run there. I knew it was hilly, but I think I underestimated the elevation. I went in the direction that I thought would be easiest. I opted for several short steep inclines with some rest in between because I knew that the opposite direction would force me to trudge up the biggest hill of all. It really weighed on me, and I quit after one lap.

I was so defeated when we left the park. When we got home, Matt reassured me, and he told me that I could always go run Sunday morning. I usually do my long runs on Sunday anyway, so I finally decided that I had to just let it go. Tomorrow is always a new day, right? I got a little worried though when we didn't get to bed till 12:30 after visiting with friends. I knew right away that I had to get up anyway and just run. I got up by 5:30, and although I was a little slow getting around, I was out the door and running by 6 am.

I started out with hope because it finally rained overnight, and I was so thankful that it gave me respite from the punishing heat. It was also one of those rains where it wasn't oppressively humid afterward, so I just had to pray that the cloud cover would hold for my ten miler. The clouds held today, and I am glad to say that my resolve did as well! I had a great run, and I am thankful for that. I stopped after 7 miles to take a pit stop at 7Eleven, and Matt met me there to buy me a drink since I ran out of water. I spent the last 3 miles just praying and being thankful that I am able to run, that the weather was nice, and that each day is a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment