Thursday, August 15, 2013

Racing Recap: Midsummer Night Series 5K

Hanging w/ Dad Pre-race!
I have finally done it. I ran a sub 30 5k race. I have no problem running sub 30 on a 5k run by myself, or with friends or family for fun, but I have never done it at an actual 5k race for some reason. (Note: I am not trying to imply that races aren't fun with that statement.) I have had a pretty good week in general, but I have been slacking some on my training lately because I have bitten off more than I can chew like I typically do.


So besides the new race time, nothing really eventful happened during this race. So instead I will share my usual thought process besides the Six Stages of Running that I have explained before. I'm not sure if I am the only one who does this, but hey, it's something to distract your mind from wanting to slow down or stop. I usually pick a person out, mostly at random, and I decide that I am going to either pace off them without letting up, or that I will pass them and run as hard as I can to make sure I don't let them get back in front of me. It's mostly at random because I usually try to pick old people, which tends to backfire most of the time, so I should probably rethink that.

Thanks for running with me Matthew!
The course for this 5k was a three loop course. I picked a lady to pace off of today about half way through the first lap. I waited until I got through most of the congestion of the start, fell into a steady pace, and picked out the nearest old lady in front of me. I lost her for a bit at the end of the first lap because Matt popped up next to me to tell me that I started out way too fast. He was right, but I ignored him, which also tends to backfire.

On the last lap, I could tell the woman realized I was pacing off her, and she didn't seem pleased. Then she pretty much left me in the dust. I'm not sure why she got so annoyed. I wasn't right up on her heels or anything, but I sped up a bit, and then she looked over, and I immediately saw a look of recognition and annoyance on her face. Then again, maybe she was just playing the head game I play when I decide not to let a random person pass me, only I was her random person. Who knows. Either way, I have a new official 5k race PR.

Exciting news: I am so happy that I am finally making the transition into a fitness related field. I will get to combine my passion for people and my passion for running! I was offered a job at a local running company, and I am so excited to begin this new journey. For a long time, I felt guilty about wanting to leave the education field because I have always wanted to do something that would make a difference in the world, but I have come to a realization. Leaving a mark on the world is all about the relationships you build, the way you live your life, and the way you treat people in general. I am grateful for all that I have learned during my years teaching, and I am grateful for the relationships I have built so far, but I am also excited to step onto a new path.

No comments:

Post a Comment