Sunday, March 4, 2012

Well, duh.

Ok, so I have always been terrible at pacing, but I think I have now found a way to get better at it. I was reading the April 2012 issue of Runner's World, and I found the article "Keeping Track" to be particularly interesting. It was a short interview with Paul Mellor who is a marathoner and competitor at the USA Memory Championships each year. He gave the advice that I should have thought of a long time ago. He said to use mnemonic devices to remember splits for pacing. Like I said, as a teacher, I should have thought of that a long time ago. I tried it on my run today, and I could remember all my mile splits when I got home. When I mapped my run before hand, I came up with the first part of the rhyme with the street names where I needed to check the time. It also gave me something to concentrate on. It became sort of like a mind game during my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment