Saturday, April 6, 2013

Runner's Rambles: We meet again, Schuykill Loop.

I am really going through one of those phases where it is blatantly obvious how much you really have to want to live a healthy lifestyle. Life can really get in the way sometimes. I really let the head race beat me last week because there was more than one day when I didn't even make it out the door for a run, and I only made it to the gym twice. Now, I did take some time out to spend an entire day walking all around Center City and Chinatown in Philadelphia with some friends, and that part of a healthy lifestyle is something I really enjoy.

I have also been reminded that it is so easy to choose unhealthy options when it comes to what I eat. I'm sort of in that, "when it rains, it pours" kind of stage, yet I am the one tipping the bucket that's pouring on my head. I have been squeezing in work outs, and even squeezing in this post just a couple sentences at a time, but I haven't been keeping myself accountable for what I am putting in my mouth. It just reinforces how important it is for me to prepare for the whole week ahead of time.

I forced myself to get in a little bit better workout this week by mapping a route to the gym that was long enough for me to get my full distance in only split in half. I also decided for our long run this weekend that Matt and I would take on The Loop again. I knew that after that crazy long run I wrote about before, and my lack of dedication would need a good solid run this weekend. I get somewhat annoyed by the traffic and whatnot when it comes to city running, so having a path just for pedestrians is very appealing to me. And I wanted another crack at The Loop.

This run wasn't much better time wise, but mentally it was a thousand times better! I had Matt with me the whole way, and I think the Forerunner helped too. I hate when I am running a route that I don't already know the markers on, or running a race that isn't marked. It was a beautiful day in Philadelphia, and I was able to get some sunshine on my face and some spring air in my lungs. I was a beautiful day for a run, and I can't wait for more spring running. Now next time, we will have to take on the "Rocky Steps" as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad this run was mentally better! I'm trying to get back into running outside, but my allergies are just going CRAZY every time I try... but when I'm at the gym, it's fine. I hate it because running outside is 569405 times better!

    ReplyDelete