Thursday, August 16, 2012

Top 5 Most Embarrassing Favorite Workout Songs

Growing up, music was a pretty big part of my life because I come from a very musical family. My grandfather taught the 19 time Grammy winning artist Pat Metheny to tune a guitar. Not only do various members play instruments, but I have a brother who once went two weeks without speaking a single word because he wanted to see how long he could go around singing everything that came out of his mouth, and I have a sister who is an opera singer who has sung in England and Scotland. You are probably wondering what this has to do with fitness, and I am getting there, trust me. I myself played a couple instruments, and was in show choir and musicals. I was also a cheerleader, and as a young kid I took dance lessons. You would think I would be able to pick up the beat in a song pretty easily, but that is apparently not the case when you throw me on a spin bike. My sister-in-law and good friend, Rachel, would be so sad considering they are music teachers who have probably had more success teaching rhythm to kindergartners than my spin instructor did with me today. We did an interval class based of the beat of the songs as the changed, and for some reason I just could not pick up the beats today.

Now sometimes, music is the most important part of a workout like the instructor tried to make it today. Music can really pump you up and get you to keep pushing when you just really want to give up. I am somewhat ashamed to say that there are times when I listen to songs when I am working out that I would not normally listen to. I am an indie/piano band kind of kid for the most part, so you would not normally catch me listening to any kind of country, rap, or pop music. I did admit in my last post that I occasionally get pumped up to Garth Brooks of all things, but today I will share the top five most embarrassing songs (in my opinion) that I listen to when working out. The songs and an explanation are listed below from least to most embarrassing.

5. Good Feeling by Flo Rida: I had really hoped that I could have gone my whole life saying that under no circumstances did I ever like a song by Flo Rida. Darn you Flo and your Good Feeling! Although I can't stand rap music, I am putting this song at number 5 because if you are ever really struggling in a workout, this song turns that struggle into a good feeling for about 4 minutes.

4. Just Dance by Lady GaGa: I really don't want to like her music in general because she is freaking crazy, and I don't think it's good to indulge people who are nuts. Now, I can justify this by saying that although this song is all synthesized, she really is very talented and a great piano player. Check out her acoustic stuff, and you might be surprised and sad that she doesn't just stick with that...I was. BUT Just Dance has a pretty peppy beat, and it gets me moving at the beginning of a run.

3. Toxic by Britney Spears: Oh Britney, you may have gone absolutely crazy, but this song is one of those that just makes me want to dance along to the beat...when I can find it. Now, this song really sucks because of it's dance factor. I may or may not have been pulled into accidentally doing a little bit of really crappy white girl dance as I was on my recovery lap at the HS track the other day... and no, I was not alone. I haven't really been back to the track since then...

2. Bringing Sexy Back by Justin Timberlake: And along with the nostalgia of Britney pre-freakout, there is Justin Timberlake. Now, I don't really like his music at all, but the one thing that draws me to this song during a workout is that I like songs that have a small single message that I can turn into a mantra for my workout to remind me what I am working for. That's all, and I REALLY wish I didn't like this song. And I do not listen to this if I am not working out...just to be clear. 

1. Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry: I seriously hate Katy Perry with a passion, and I am so happy to say that I still hate this song even as it plays during a workout, and I am even more delighted to say that this one is most definitely NOT on my ipod. This is a song that my instructor plays during spin class sometimes, and I am always so sad to hear it because I know that for some strange reason it will push me harder on a tough hill, but I just don't want it to because I would like to continue hating it on every level. It is perfectly fine for you to disagree with me, and you can love her, her music, and her videos, but I just can't get behind someone with crappy lyrics and crap shooting out of her boobs in every single music video she does. Why does this have to be a good hill climbing song, and why does the instructor have to play it..ever?


I am so sad after writing this post that I have decided that I will be writing a post in the near future listing my top 5 favorite workout songs from the music I would actually listen to without being embarrassed. There will be redemption, but for now, you can have a nice laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment