Monday, August 27, 2012

Michelle's Super Simple Chicken Salad-- NO mayonnaise!

I have found that the best way for me to eat healthy meals is to make them ahead of time. If I leave my lunch or dinner up to chance and my fridge, then I probably end up eating something I shouldn't at a time when I am really hungry. It is ludicrous to think that driving or walking a few blocks from my house to wait in a line to get food is faster than making something myself, but I (and maybe you too) have justified many a poor decisions by saying that I am too hungry to wait long enough to cook something to eat. That is why I am trying to make my lunches at the beginning of the week. Sunday night I will make lunch and possibly snacks that need to be prepared in order to keep me on track. I made chicken salad this week, and I am going to share the recipe below!

Michelle's Super Simple Chicken Salad

10oz can cooked chicken breast meat
3 1/2 tbs plain Greek yogurt
2 1/2 tsp spicy brown or Dijon mustard
3-4 tbs chopped raw unsalted almonds
3-4 tbs finely chopped or matchstick carrots
3-4 tbs dried cranberries
dash of salt and pepper

Directions: drain and finely shred chicken, then mix all ingredients together. It's that simple!!

I love this because it is super simple, easy, and quick to whip up! I didn't cook the chicken myself, but it is most certainly an option, and I would do it that way any time I am already planning to cook a chicken dish that would allow me to cook all the chicken at once and pull some out. It is super yummy, and there is NO mayonnaise!! And if you think you don't like Greek yogurt, don't worry because you seriously cannot taste it! I am not the hugest Greek yogurt fan, although I am working toward it, but I seriously couldn't even tell.


Today I ate my chicken salad on a single piece of whole wheat bread, but it is also delicious on crackers, a tortilla, Granny Smith apple slices, or leaf lettuce! For other mix-ins, you could put boiled egg, grapes, celery, green pepper, onion, Granny Smith apple pieces, walnuts, pecans, or pineapple tidbits! I made mine with my favorites, which just also happened to be what I already had on hand!



Take the recipe, and make it your own! And if you are anything like me, make it ahead of time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment