Friday, October 12, 2012

Check your shame at the door, people!

I think that both runners and non-runners alike can agree that it takes a certain level of crazy to be a runner, and that level of crazy increases as the mileage increases. Another universal truth of running is that you have got to check your shame at the door. Literally. I personally have found this to be especially true when colder weather moves in. It takes guts to run in the cold, and the temperature isn't the biggest factor in that statement.

photo.JPG
Owl Hat!!
I know that I personally look like a lunatic when I run in the cold, and I am perfectly fine with that. I have a running beanie that is moisture wicking and has a ponytail slot, but sometimes I just want to force myself to have fun on a run, so I will throw on my owl hat. Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like, a hat that looks like an owl. Today, I forgot to wear my sunglasses when I left. Sunglasses are important for me when it's cold because I'm one of those cold air criers. I always have been. The glasses help to block the cold air, or at least make it harder for passers-by to notice the crazy-steady tears streaming down my face. It is fun to see the very concerned look on their faces though when they see a crazy lady running down the street who appears to be hysterically crying.

It is important to get over the social norms about different bodily functions that may or may not be appropriate for public, as well. I am very glad to say that at this point in my life, I have never had to squat in someone's bushes for a pit stop, if you know what I mean. There are many, many runners who have, but I hope not to end up there. But with the cold air, I can say that sometimes you just have to spit. When you breathe in that cold air, it is inevitable that the mucus will start to run. So you can let it run down into your lungs and hack all day, or you can spit it out as it you are running. Snot rockets are also an acceptable alternative, but I don't think I'm coordinated enough to keep the snot rocket from hitting me while I am running, so I just spit.

photo.JPG
No shame! I took a picture to prove it. Haha

And whether it's cold, hot, or in between, I always sit down in the parking lot at my apartments and stretch when I get done running. This may not seem like a big deal, but when you run, you sweat...everywhere. There is almost always someone passing by or standing around when I stand up. I'm sure that they are judging the butt-sweat print that I left on the pavement, but I don't really care anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment