Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Getting high leads to bad choices and overdoing it.

I have slowly been coming down off my runner's high from Saturday's race, but I have not been able to stop talking about or thinking about running for the most part. I felt so good on Sunday, which was nice because I would normally be recovering from a half marathon's  aches and pains. The 10k was a great choice. I have been talking with my brother Joe quite a bit, who you might remember ran my first half marathon with me, and finished under a minute after me on our chip timing, but I won't let him live it down because I will never beat him again. If you haven't read my background story, I encourage you to do so now. Joe has perpetuating my addiction to running by telling me to keep training and racing as much as I can now when I have fewer commitments to compete.

I decided my brother was right, and I threw myself on a treadmill for a short interval run on Sunday afternoon. When I stopped the belt at the end, I thought I was going to have to have Matt carry me out of the gym. My left shin was in some serious pain. I went home, iced it with a large bag of tater tots, and took some ibuprofen. Monday morning, I did some yoga, and I took a rest day.

This morning was rough for me because I didn't sleep well last night despite feel exhausted when I got home from work. Joe had also encouraged me to mix up my playlist, so I slowly woke myself up with a cup of coffee and some serious playlist revamping. I started getting excited for my run, and I got all decked out. I had on my tights, an old 5k shirt, my Nike Bowerman's, hydration belt, sunglasses, running watch, and a brand new playlist at the ready. I could feel the tightness setting in with my first steps. By the end of mile one, I was emitting small shrieks of pain. I stretched out again, and walked a bit, hobbling in pain. I stretched again. I hobbled some more, and then I resigned myself to giving up for the day. I turned back in the direction of home.

Now I know I said you need to check your shame at the door recently, but it is hard to do when you are hobbling back all decked out, complete with hydration belt. There are times when I like to go for a leisurely walk, but I do not wear my running gear because I feel dumb wearing it when I am just walking. I know that passersby probably aren't really paying that much attention, but it's hard not to think that they are. They don't know that I can and do run. They don't necessarily know that I am in pain, but it was disheartening to say the least.

I am going to attempt to take it easy for a few days, but I can't wait to hit the pavement again because I have signed up for another race in a couple weeks. It is really easy to get down on yourself, but in the end, a little bit of exercise is better than nothing and trying is better than giving up before you start. Nobody ever said that running, getting fit, or staying fit would be easy. Giving up is easy. Don't take the easy way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment