Monday, September 3, 2012

10k 6 Week Training Schedule

In a recent post, I announced that I am going to run my first 10k. I am gearing up to start my training program, and I looked around to figure out what training plan would be right for me. I am not a big fan of speed work, so I decided to adapt some plans and make on that would work best for me. My goal for this race is to do the whole thing without walking at all. When I run half marathons, I do a run/walk system, so I am looking to build endurance this time. Training starts next week, so here's the plan!

Michelle's Couch to 10k Training Schedule

Week
Run 1
Run 2
Run 3
Run 4
Total
1
2
2.5
2
3
9.5
2
3
2
3
4
12
3
4
3
2
4
13
4
3
2
4
5
14
5
5
6
3
7
21
6
6
4
3
race
19

If you have been thinking of getting in shape, or beginning running, but you don't know where to start, then this is a great way to get going. Running is good because you probably already own the necessities. Throw on shorts or sweats, a t-shirt, and some tennis shoes and hit the pavement. If you want to track how far you ran, or plan a route that is a certain length, then check out mapmyrun.com! And if you are just using this for a guide for personal fitness instead of training for a race deadline, then take it at your own pace and repeat runs or weeks if you don't feel confident that you can complete the next step yet. When I started running, I could only jog a quarter of a mile before I had to walk, but I walked the rest of the way, and eventually I was able to run for farther distances. I am not fast, and I never will be, but I am moving, and that's what counts.

I also have a post with my half marathon training schedule for beginners. It doesn't have any speed work or specific tempo runs, but it helps to build distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment