Saturday, April 18, 2015

Runner's Rambles: On the Move...see what I did there?

Ok, I know that there are people who hate running. In fact, probably far more who hate it than love it, but on days like today I just don't understand how. Did I have an amazing long run with an effortless negative split? NO! Hahahaha! Let's be real here. I ran 3 miles. Slowly. And I had to stop a few times to stretch out my calf muscles. But here's the thing, I got to spend time outdoors enjoying the beautiful weather and scenery that is Spring. I got a chance to appreciate my mobility, which is not a given in life by any stretch of the imagination. I got to interact with other people in a community that is pretty darn awesome; the running community is typically an uplifting and encouraging bunch! All those endorphins, ya know?

I have been in a limbo of sorts moving to Missouri this week. That may seem strange since I was born and raised in MO, but I am now living in pretty much the only part of the state I am unfamiliar with, and it is not the place I think of when I think of MO and home. It also seems strange to know that I have no return flight booked for Philly, and that is the other place I learned to call home. I got engaged, moved to Philly, got married, made some amazing friends, and spent my first year of marriage in Philadelphia. Now I am living in temporary housing outside of St. Louis, my worst nightmare as a child (slight exaggeration), just waiting to really settle into our new home in late May, and trying to forge my career path here. Seriously in limbo all around, but I still have running, and I should be thankful for each run even when they are slow or difficult.

One thing that is helping me get used to the idea of living in eastern MO is that St. Charles is ADORABLE. Seriously, I love the historic district and all the little parks I've seen, and I am pumped about being able to run on the Katy Trail. I hate gravel trails, but I might get used to this one! I even had another runner on the trail give me a high five on my run today!! Remember what I said about the running community? Eh, eh? And I needed that high five right about then. I may be in limbo, but I am still so fortunate, and running helps remind me of that. I. Just. Love. Running. Come on people, drink the nuun-koolaid! Fall in love with running! Ok, ok... just fall in love with something that will keep you healthy and loving life because right now you can, and one day it will be too late.



Talk about Rails to Trail!!

No comments:

Post a Comment